Sunday, October 6, 2013

What does Slow Food Mean to You?

Italy, the land of the olives, beautiful food, beautiful people, and the birth place of Slow Food. 


Now an international nonprofit organization, Slow Food was cofounded in 1989 when McDonalds had first opened a restaurant in Rome, Italy. Manifesto of Slow Food states its mission as an "alternative...begin by cultivating taste...by stimulating progress, by encouraging international exchange programs, by endorsing worthwhile projects, by advocating historical food culture and by defending old-fashioned food traditions." The snail was chosen as its logo to symbolize "a better quality lifestyle...an idea and a way of life that needs much sure but steady support." 

Slow food is a movement that can be as inclusive as you make it. Unlike a dietary restriction, Slow Food is centered around a general appreciation for food and its making. During my summer trip to Italy, I discovered what slow food meant to me. 

Napoli is a majestic port city, holding a beautiful and eclectic mix of old fortresses next to skyscrapers. But one thing was the same: the narrow cobblestone roads that wound themselves around the city, with each new corner presenting a new adventure and story. I wandered the apartment buildings that were more cramped than even NYC and found myself face to face with the culture of the city. 










After hours of wandering, I was starving! I settled in at a seaside café for some good ol’ Naples pizza. I chose to go simple and traditional: a margherita pizza, grilled veggies, and a delicious cappuccino. As a coffee fiend I was ecstatic to start trying the espressos that Italy was so famous for and this one was not a disappointment. Also, when I ordered the pizza, I did not expect to get a full sized pizza but it was definitely a pleasant surprise!


Unlike the American style of pizza, this one’s crust could not hold the weight of the meaty mozzarella and required me to cut into it with a fork and knife! As I held the perfect bite of crust, sauce, and mozzarella, I prepared myself for a mind-blowing experience. And mind blowing it was…
The sauce was a mixture of salty, sweet, and just a bit tangy, as if there was lemon juice mixed in at the last minute. The mozzarella was pure bliss, light on the tongue and full of fresh flavor and the bite of basil brought it all in balance. The crust was not at all soggy but soft and fluffy, and I might even prefer this crust to the crunchy one! As the extra tomato juice dripped off, I did not hesitate to pull at the crust and mop up the deliciousness.

Sitting there, entranced by every bite I took, I found myself at perfect peace with my meal, slowly savoring every bite and never rushing or stuffing anything into my mouth no matter how delicious it was. The scenery of the sea, the chatter of Italian wafting in the breeze, and the faint scent of coffee made me realize the beauty of slow food. 
The realization that good food can and should be enjoyed slowly and reverently, the appreciation of a good meal, beautiful scenery, and company, and more importantly that food is a simple and complex pleasure, one that  should be appreciated without restraint and one that shouldn’t have negative connotations.
Eat half of that large pizza if you feel like it! Who cares? Most importantly, how do you feel eating something glorious in an equally glorious country?


When was your first time realizing what slow food meant to you?

Let’s share some stories!

No comments :

Post a Comment